We have numerous significant partnerships including funders, the Department of Health, the community but the most important in terms of implementing the programme is the local hospital. Together with the rural hospital, we identify, train and support rural youth to become qualified health professionals, who in turn commit to work at the local hospital for their contract period.
The hospitals are instrumental in identifying, training and supporting members of the local youth on their quest to become health professionals. To ensure that this process goes as smoothly as possible certain important processes have to be in place.
- Strong support for the project and a passion for long-term recruitment shared by key hospital personnel, including the Medical-, Hospital-, Finance- and HR Managers, who are to receive regular updates on the progress of the programme. This includes permission to run a pre-selection volunteer programme at the hospital to identify suitable candidates and the input of two hospital representatives who are to form part of the scholarship selection committee.
- An established Hospital Working Group with an appointed UYDF liaison. This group is tasked with prioritising and scheduling a minimum of four weeks' annual holiday work for students, as well as ensuring that job vacancies are advertised timeously so graduates may apply to work back their scholarships. Regular meetings are to be conducted between UYDF and the Hospital Working Group to ensure that policies and procedures are communicated effectively.
Experience has shown that the more hospitals in a rural district participate in the programme, the more effective that entire district becomes at retaining health professionals.
UYDF currently has active working relationships with all 5 of the hospitals in the Umkhanyakude District, namely:
- Mosvold Hospital
- Mseleni Hospital
- Hlabisa Hospital
- Manguzi Hospital
- Bethesda Hospital
Other hospitals involved include:
- Benedictine Hospital (Zululand District)
- Nkonjeni Hospital (Zululand District)
- Ceza Hospital (Zululand District)
- Nkandla Hospital (Uthungulu District)
- Ekombe Hospital (Uthungulu District)
- Catherine Booth Hospital (Uthungulu District)
- Mbongolwane Hospital (Uthungulu District)
- Christ the King (Sisonke District)
- St Patricks Hospital - Bizana, Eastern Cape
- Zithulele Hospital - Hole in the Wall, Eastern Cape
For more info on these facilites: http://www.kznhealth.gov.za/hospitals.htm